1825 Major Mill Refurbishment
Up to now, we have had to rely on written evidence for our story, but maps from the early nineteenth century onwards are detailed enough to show individual buildings clearly. Those of the mill in 1807 and 1855 (above) show marked differences in both the buildings and size of the dam; (Abbeydale Road runs along the top of the maps with the mill building top right; the goyt, feeding water to the mill, runs in a big arc from the Sheaf, bottom left, to the dam top right) . What were these differences, when did they occur?
Each of the above maps has a ‘twin’ (1814 and 1890), which are clearer, because they were drawn later and to a larger scale, so, they are the ones reproduced below. The 1890 map has been traced and superimposed on that of 1814 to allow accuratecomparison
The Dam (1) The banking facing the park (a) remained unchanged as did the wall (b), but the wall between them became part of the mill – a wooden footbridge giving access from side to side. The part opposite the banking (c) was extended to the edge of the new turnpike (now Abbeydale road) running alongside it for some 50 yards and (b) was extended to meet it; making its capacity at least three times greater. The outlet sluices for the wheel and waste goyte remained in the same place.
The Miller’s house (2) – on two floors – has lost a wing to road widening, but gained a new bay making it square, possibly large enough to take two families.
The mill (3) – on three floors – has lost two small extensions, but has been widened by some 10 feet to the left and 20 feet to the right. The left side of the roof has been extended and brought down a floor, to meet the chimney of the new boiler.
Smaller Building (4) – on two floors – an apparently new building adjacent to the boiler house.
We are currently searching the Wentworth papers in the City Archives for details of both the internal and external works, which should confirm the date of the current buildings to a date between the later map of 1814 and the The Iris advertisementof December 1828 describing the mill as being on lease with immediate possession with newly erected steam engine – i.e.about 1825.